Ajisen Ramen Restaurant
Ajisen Ramen in 2 / 23 Leigh Street in Adelaide City is a part of a chain of more than 700 restaurants worldwide that is founded in Kumamoto, Japan in 1968. Outside of Japan, Ajisen Ramen has outlets in Australia, Cambodia, Canada, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Marianas, the Philippines, Singapore , South Korea, Thailand, the United States, and Vietnam. Famous for its tasty pork broth named as Tonkotsu soup, Ajisen offers a wide variety of ramen which caters to customers of all ages.
In Adelaide, there are two shops opened already – one is in Rundle Mall, the other is in Leigh Street. My family went to the Leigh branch on a Saturday after my daughter’s netball game. It was an ideal lunch for a chilly weekend.
We ordered the following:
- Ajisen Ramen (an original ramen made the Kumamoto Japan style, served with Chasyu (pork), Egg and Vegetables)
- Curry Beef Ramen (Spicy Ramen served with Beef, Egg, and Vegetables in Ajisen curry soup) in Brassy Colour.
- Takoyaki (Deep Fried Octopus Ball served with Bonito Flakes in Takoyaki Sauce)
- Tori Karaage (Deep Fried Chicken and Wafu Salad served with Mayonnaise Dipping Sauce), and
- Gyoza (Dumplings)
My Food Review:
- All food here’s tasty! This experience has transported us to Japan through our imagination. =)
- The curry beef ramen is less spicy as it should have been. Well, we requested the lady who attended to us to make it moderate than what is on the menu. Thumbs up for they listened to our plea!
- The Ajisen Ramen, on the other hand, is uniquely delicious. I have always been a fan of noodles since a little kid, so you bet I love their taste when I say it is that good!
- Our favourites: Takoyaki (Octopus Ball) and Tori Karaage (Deep Fried Chicken and Salad in Mayonnaise) are a must try when dining here alongside the ramen.
- Each serving size for the noodles is big.
- Prices are moderate that range from $9 to $13 per serve.
- The place has a decent amount of seating space. However, expect this restaurant to be busy all weekdays especially during lunch hour.
- Service is welcoming, friendly and nice. They served our orders quite quickly.
- Overall, my family and I will definitely go back. I give Ajisen Ramen in Leigh Street, Adelaide a 4.5 out of 5 stars.
What is a Ramen?
A Ramen is a Japanese dish. It consists of wheat noodles served in a meat or fish-based broth, often flavored with soy sauce or miso, and uses toppings such as sliced pork, dried seaweed, menma, and green onions. Its history retells that after World War II, Japanese soldiers brought home what became one of their favorite Chinese street food delicacies. Today, most regions in Japan make their own unique variations with different broths, noodles, seasonings, and toppings that is now worldwidely known as a ramen. (source: Wiki)
What is a Tonkotsu Ramen?
Tonkotsu translates to “pork bone.” This is type of ramen with a broth that is thick and cloudy white in color. The coloring and consistency come from the boiling of pork bones and fat on high heat for many hours (for some places, this means up to 20 hours). Some even say that tonkotsu broth is as creamy as milk. (Source: Tastemade)
Thanks for reading! Don’t forget to like, comment and share!