E.E Cummings wrote, “To be nobody-but-yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody but yourself – means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight- and never stop fighting.” This is sad but true in a world where perfectionism seems to be the formula for happiness.
We all know that perfection is an unattainable goal.
Dr Brene Brown has proven this –
Perfectionism is a self-destructive and addictive belief system that fuels this primary thought: “If I look perfect, live perfectly, and do everything perfectly, I can avoid or minimize the painful feelings of shame, judgment, and blame.”
Perfection is annihilation. It paralyses us from working from the heart.
Yes, it takes a lot of risks to be ourselves. There is always that fear of rejection and ridicule, as well as that struggle for worthiness.
Take Risk: Be Yourself
Here’s a thought from William Arthur Ward:
- To laugh is to risk, appearing a fool.
- To weep is to risk, appearing sentimental.
- To reach out to another is to risk involvement.
- To express feelings is to risk exposing your true self.
- To place your ideas and dreams before a crowd is to risk their loss.
- To love is to risk not being loved in return.
- To hope is to risk pain.
- To try is to risk failure.
- But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
- The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing.
- He may avoid suffering and sorrow, But he cannot learn, feel, change, grow or live.
- Chained by his servitude, he is a slave who has forfeited all freedom.
- Only a person who risks is free.
Remember, we are born to be real, not to be perfect.
You are a beautiful creation – perfectly imperfect, a work in progress. You have everything you need to fulfill your purpose. Dont dilute yourself for any reason or any person. You are enough. Be unapologetically You! – Dr. Steve Maraboli
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
You are worthy!
- Worthiness doesn’t have prerequisites. Think – worthy now, not if, not when. We’re worthy of love and belonging now. Right, this minute. As is. – Brene Brown
It is our birthright to be ourselves.
Let go of who you think you are supposed to be. Embrace who you are!
That is authenticity!
It is the acknowledgement to self that, “Yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable and sometimes afraid, but that doesn’t change the truth that I am also brave and worthy of love and belonging.”
Thus, I love this reminder from Elisabeth Kübler-Ross:
“People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.”
This post is inspired by the book Gifts of Imperfection by Dr Brene Brown.
Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment, share or like.
Read More Like This:
- Inspirational Quotes about Life Struggles and Success
- Quotes on Courage and Determination
- How to be Successful, 6 Steps