Every year on 18 July (the day Nelson Mandela was born) the United Nations asks individuals around the world to mark this day as the Nelson Mandela International Day.
For 67 years Nelson Mandela devoted his life to the service of humanity — as a human rights lawyer, a prisoner of conscience, an international peacemaker and the first democratically elected president of a free South Africa.
Source: Nelson Mandela International Day by UN A/RES/64/13
Nelson Mandela Inspirational Quotes
Reflecting on his life, I believe that everyone has the ability and the responsibility to change the world for the better. Today is a great opportunity to take action and inspire change. Honouring Nelson Mandela, here are 25 Inspirational Quotes from himself that will guarantee a change in your life.
Quotes on Success and Perseverance
Nelson Mandela as the man of change and inspiration, he shares these:
- Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
- Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.
- It always seems impossible until it’s done.
- There is no passion in playing small – settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
- It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another.
Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward.
- I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
- Difficulties break some men but make others.
- Do not judge me by my success, judge me by how many times I feel down and got back up again.
- After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb
Do not judge me by my success, judge me by how many times I feel down and got back up again.
What Mandela wants to convey to us all is “There can be no success if there is no hard work and determination.” Continue to believe that someday your aspirations will lead you to your purpose.
- You can start changing our world for the better daily no matter how small the action.
- One of the most difficult things is not to change society – but to change yourself.
- As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
- It is in your hands to create a better world for all who live in it.
- Death is something inevitable. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace.
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
Quotes about Happiness and Love
Nelson Mandela has his take on happiness and love. He shares that these values are natural to us humans if only we have the spirit to cultivate respect and honour.
- For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.
- No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. If people have learned to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
- A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Everyone can rise above their circumstances if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.
Furthermore, he said, it is but essential to focus on what is everlasting than those qualities that meet the eye.
- In judging our progress as individuals we tend to concentrate on external factors such as one’s social position, influence and popularity, wealth and standard of education… But internal factors may be even more crucial in assessing one’s development as a human being. Honesty, sincerity, simplicity, humility, pure generosity, the absence of vanity, readiness to serve others – qualities which are within easy reach of every soul – are the foundation of one’s spiritual life.
Such that, in cultivating relationships, he said –
- I like friends who have independent minds because they tend to make you see problems from all angles.
- If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
There can be no greater gift than that of giving one’s time and energy to help others without expecting anything in return.
Inspirational Quotes on Life
Lastly, in living out this life, he inspires us to –
- Live life as though nobody is watching, and express yourself as though everyone is listening.
- What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.
So go on. Find your inspiration. It is just within yourself. Nurture it. Be Yourself: Shine!